DNA is an abbreviation for DeoxyriboNucleic Acid. It encodes genetic information necessary for the functioning & development of the organisms. In eukaryotes, i.e., in humans, animals, & plants, DNA is stored in the nucleus and in some organelles like mitochondria or chloroplasts. While prokaryotes, i.e., bacteria, store it in their cytoplasm. This double helix model holds the genetic makeup of every human and can be used to trace their ancestry and ethnicity. While DNA has many benefits, a striking area of importance is its usefulness for profiling, or what is known as DNA fingerprinting. Earlier, DNA Profiling test was used only for criminal investigations and paternity disputes. Now, it has made significant strides in India, contributing to the success of various fields and promising a bright future for applications in law enforcement, forensic science, healthcare, and more.
Steps Involved in DNA Profiling Test
The following are the steps:
- DNA Sample Collection: The first step in DNA profiling is to collect a DNA sample from the individual or the evidence. The sample can be collected from various sources, such as blood, buccal swab, saliva, semen, hair, or skin cells.
- DNA Extraction: Once the DNA sample is collected, it is extracted from the cells using various methods such as the organic method, the Chelex method, or the silica-based method.
- DNA Amplification: The extracted DNA is then amplified using polymerase chain reaction (PCR), a technique that allows the selective amplification of specific regions of the DNA.
- DNA Profiling: The amplified DNA is then separated using gel electrophoresis, and the resulting DNA profile is analyzed to identify any matches.
It is doubtful that you will share the same profile as anyone else unless you are an identical twin.
Success of DNA Profiling Tests
Certain situations often arise both in public (legal/governmental) & private realms when identifying individuals or family relationships is critically important. Below are some uses of DNA profiling that really matter:
- Establishing Relationship: Establishing the biological relationship between siblings, parents & children, or other extended families can be essential for both peace of mind and legal situations.
- Criminal Investigations: DNA profiling has become an indispensable tool in criminal investigations. It identifies suspects, links them to crime scenes, and exonerates innocent individuals. DNA profiling has solved numerous high-profile cases, including murders, rapes, and other serious crimes.
- Determining Ancestry: Many individuals are curious about their ancestry, and DNA profiling can provide information about your forefathers and can pinpoint the ancestors’ origin in specific cities, villages, etc. This test also provides essential data about your forefather’s origin & spots their last three major migrations.
- Organ Transplant DNA Profiling Test: The DNA Profiling test is helpful in the case of organ transplantation. A living organ donor must provide proof of genetic kinship with the organ recipient, as required by the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 2014.
- Cell Line Authentication DNA Test – It is used to verify the authenticity of human and mouse cell lines. They are used in studies of medicine, genetics, cell biology, cancer research & drug development.
- DNA Profiling Test for Immigration: Visas are more likely to be rejected in immigration cases when the relationship between the beneficiary & the petitioner becomes questionable.
- DNA Test for Swapped Baby in Hospital – It is used to identify a swapped baby in a hospital to reunite the child with the biological parents.
- DNA Profiling for Legal Cases: The DNA profiling test is also crucial in legal matters, including relationship disputes, child custody, and property/will inheritance. The DNA profile is the only authentic way to establish an individual’s identity between two or more people.
Future of DNA Profiling Tests in India
DNA profiling has become an essential tool in various fields. Its growth and evolution will undoubtedly continue to impact India’s scientific, legal, and societal landscape for the better. Other motives include:
- Crime Prevention & Investigation: With advancements in DNA profiling technology, its potential for crime prevention and investigation will continue to grow. DNA databases can aid in identifying repeat offenders, solving cold cases, and preventing future crimes.
- Medical Applications: DNA profiling holds promise for personalized medicine and disease prevention. Genetic profiling can help identify genetic predispositions to diseases, allowing for early intervention and tailored treatment plans.
- Genetic Research: DNA profiling technology can contribute to genetic research in India, facilitating population studies, identification of disease markers, and advancements in genetics-based therapies.
- Forensic Technologies: Integration of DNA profiling with other forensic technologies, such as phenotyping and next-generation sequencing, can enhance investigative capabilities, including predicting physical appearances and tracing complex genetic traits.
- Policy & Legislation: The future of DNA profiling in India also depends on the establishment of robust policies and legislation governing its usage, privacy protection, and ethical considerations to ensure its responsible and effective implementation.
Why DNA Forensics Laboratories for DNA Profiling Tests?
At DNA Forensics Laboratory Pvt. Ltd., (DFL), we offer reliable and accurate DNA Profiling tests by using Short Tandem Repeat profiling. We are the only company that offers legal DNA tests in India. With 400+ collection centers across India, you can visit your nearest collection center to give your DNA sample.
Our testing facility is certified with NABL, ILAC/MRA – ILAC mutual recognition arrangement, ISO/IEC 17025. We offer the best DNA Test Prices in India, making our tests affordable and accessible for everyone.
The following are some of the key strengths that make DFL one of the best DNA companies in India for various DNA testing services:
- We got local collection centers across India and other countries
- Latest and advanced methodologies for the test
- Highly qualified and experienced technical staff
- Turnaround time of test results within 3-5 business days
- Providing NABL-accredited Organ Transplant DNA Test with Form-5 in India
- Home collection facility
- Can order a DNA test kit online
- Express Services option –the next-day or same-day reporting services depending upon the case’s urgency. (T&C Applied)
For further queries or to book a DNA Profiling Test, call us today at +91 8010177771 or WhatsApp at +91 9213177771