With living space in cities becoming more and more expensive, the need for storage units is on the rise. It can be a great way to free up some space in your home without having to get rid of all your belongings.
But before you take the plunge, there are some important things to consider so that you can make sure it’s an enjoyable experience. Here are 10 tips to help make the process of renting a storage unit as smooth and stress-free as possible:
- Make a list of your belongings – Before you start looking for a storage unit, it’s important that you know exactly what you plan on storing. This will help you decide which size unit is right for you. You can also use this list to help you pack your storage unit efficiently.
- Research storage companies – Take time to research storage companies in your area and read customer reviews so that you can make an informed decision. Consider factors such as the security of the storage units, the size of each unit, and the cost of renting a storage unit. This will help you find the storage company that best suits your needs.
- Look for a special offer – Many storage companies are always offering discounts and promotions, so it’s worth looking to see if there’s something available that can save you some money on storage costs. You might also be able to get a discount if you book storage for a longer period of time.
- Visit the storage facility – Before signing on the dotted line, it’s essential that you visit the storage facility to make sure it meets your requirements and expectations. You should check out things like access times, security measures, cleanliness, and storage policies. This will help you decide if the storage company is the right fit for you.
- Protect your storage unit – Make sure to take adequate measures to protect your storage unit from any potential damage. This can include investing in insurance, padlocks, and storage containers. It’s also important that you keep a written record of all your belongings in storage so that you can keep track of them.
- Label your storage boxes – Labeling storage boxes clearly will help to make sure that everything is put away correctly and in the right place. This will also save a lot of time when it comes to finding something specific inside the storage unit. Just make sure to use a permanent marker so that the labels don’t come off.
- Don’t overpack storage boxes – When packing storage boxes, it’s important not to overstuff them as this can lead to damage or injury. You should also use cushioning materials for fragile items and make sure that all storage boxes are sealed properly.
- Keep a storage inventory – It can be helpful to keep an inventory of all the items you have stored in your storage unit. This will help you stay organized and make sure that nothing gets lost or misplaced. All storage inventories should include a description of each item and where it’s stored.
- Don’t store illegal items – It’s important to make sure that you only store legal items in your storage unit. If storage companies find out that you have stored any illegal or prohibited items, they can take action against you, including termination of the storage contract. When in doubt, check with the storage company before storing anything.
- Keep your storage unit clean – It’s important to keep your storage unit clean and organized so that you can easily locate items when needed. Make sure to dust and sweep regularly, as well as inspect for any signs of pests or water damage. This will help keep your storage unit in good condition and make it easier to access.
These 10 tips will help ensure that you have a stress-free experience when renting storage units. With the right planning and preparation, your storage journey can be a breeze! So, if you’re looking for a great way to free up some extra space and declutter your home, storage units may be the perfect solution for you. With a little research and planning, storage can provide the extra storage space you need without breaking the bank!