After an unfortunate car accident in Rockford, recovering at the earliest should be your priority. However, there are a bunch of other things to take care of. Illinois is a fault state, and therefore, if the other driver caused the crash, they are liable for your injuries. The compensation will help recover your financial losses, such as medical bills & lost wages. Many victims often wonder whether they need to hire a Rockford car accident attorney for their case. Below we have discussed a few critical things that an experienced lawyer can do for you.
- Explain the laws and your rights. If you want to file an injury lawsuit after an accident, you have two years to do so as per Illinois’s statute of limitations. If you were responsible for the accident to some extent, you could only file a lawsuit against the other driver if you are less than 50% at fault. There are many specific laws that concern accident lawsuits, and an attorney can explain all that in detail.
- Find evidence and witnesses. Because you are filing the lawsuit, you are required to present evidence and prove that the other party acted negligently or was at fault for the accident. As you recover from your injuries, your lawyer will gather evidence and find details that will strengthen the case. They can also talk to witnesses to get statements and acquire a copy of the police report.
- Talk to experts. When multiple vehicles are involved in one road accident, finding the party responsible for the mishap is not easy. It is quite possible that more than one driver is liable for your injuries. An attorney will talk to accident reconstruction services and determine how the event unfolded. They may even talk to medical experts about your injuries.
- Handle the claims adjuster. Insurance companies are infamous for their tricks and tactics, and the claims adjuster will try to deny or delay the claim on flimsy grounds. Your lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, and if the matter cannot be resolved through discussion, they can pursue further legal action.
- Take care of the paperwork. Ensuring that your claim is filed properly and all documents are presented as required are tasks that your lawyer will handle for you. Because they understand the legal process well, you can be assured that all norms will be adhered to.
Call an attorney to get a free review of your accident claim.