Breastfeeding is the most rewarding and pleasurable experience a woman can have. It provides numerous benefits for both infants and moms and assists young children’s general development.
Breastfeeding can be problematic in the first few months, especially for first-time mothers. Many nursing products can make breastfeeding more accessible and more effective. Feeding pillows are among them. A breastfeeding pillow’s primary purpose is to comfort your infant by lifting them at nipple level. You can get feeding pillows online and in physical stores.
According to the WHO, breastfeeding should begin as soon as feasible after birth. Hence, you might include a feeding pillow in your hospital bag checklist. A nursing pillow can be utilised for back or stomach support and feeding during pregnancy. It will be helpful within the first breastfeeding session and after the baby is born, providing additional comfort and support.
What to check for:
- Size: Make sure the nursing pillow is the proper size for you. If the cushion is excessively hefty, it may slip, causing your baby to have problems latching. If that’s too thin, though, there may be a gap between the thighs and the pillow, which may make the pillow roll down due to the baby’s weight.
- Breastfeeding pillows are available in various shapes and sizes within each set of benefits.
- Choose something that best meets your budget.
- Select an adjustable breastfeeding cushion that can be customised for the best fit.
- Please make sure that the nursing pillow is easy to clean, water-resistant, and odour-free. If it has a removable cover, it makes things more accessible.
Nursing pillow instructions
Most commercially available feeding pillows online are U-shaped or crescent-shaped and wrap around the breastfeeding mother’s waist. Using a breastfeeding pillow is simple and can be done in any comfiest way. However, this might be the first time for many, so here are the instructions to ease the process for you.
- After finding a comfortable seat, wrap the feeding cushion around your waist or even on your lap. Ensure you have adequate back support to avoid developing a backache that could lead to further complications.
- Hold your kid in a gentle position with his tummy facing your body. To support the baby’s weight, place your arm on the cushion while cradling the baby’s head.
- Adjust the feeding pillow to fit your baby in an up position with its head slightly tilted upward. Proper posture can cause stomach reflux or swallowing difficulties.
- When the baby grows older, you can use it in various ways, such as tummy time and sitting assistance.
Benefits of feeding pillow use:
- You’ve probably got some ideas about how you might benefit from utilising a nursing pillow by now. Let’s talk about the advantages more to get you more informed.
- It supports your back and stomach when pregnant, making it less unpleasant.
- Maintaining the optimal height for something like the ergonomic posture and avoiding acid reflux for your newborn.
- Anyone can use the breastfeeding cushion, especially if the baby is bottle-fed and the mother needs to take a break.
- Supporting the baby’s weight relieves pressure on your shoulder and muscle tightness.
- Even in the C-section instance, it aids in the healing process by putting less stress on the stitches when feeding.
- Using a nursing cushion while your baby is on his stomach helps strengthen and relax his neck muscles.
- The baby is supported while sitting, keeping him from falling.