Victorian jewelry is a type of jewelry that was popular during the Victorian era. This period lasted from 1837 to 1901 and was named after Queen Victoria, who ruled England during this time. Jewelry from this era is often characterized by its intricate designs, feminine aesthetic, and use of gemstones and precious metals.
One of the most popular materials used in Victorian jewelry is gold. Gold was seen as a symbol of wealth and power, and it was used extensively in both everyday and formal pieces of jewelry. Other common materials include silver, pearl, and diamonds.
Victorian jewelry often features delicate designs with floral motifs, scrollwork, or other ornate details. Lace was also a popular design element during this time, and it was often used to adorn necklaces, bracelets, and earrings.
8 Tips To Buy Victorian Jewelry
- Do your research. When buying Victorian jewelry, it’s important to do your homework and know what you’re looking for. There are a few things to keep in mind, such as the different periods of Victoriana, the types of materials used, and the designs that were popular during that time.
- Shop around. Once you have an idea of what you want, it’s time to start shopping! Check out local antique stores, estate sales, and even online auction sites like eBay. You never know where you might find the perfect piece of Victorian jewelry.
- Inspect the piece closely. When inspecting a piece of Victorian jewelry, pay close attention to the condition. Look for any signs of wear or damage, as this can affect the value of the piece.
- Consider the provenance. The provenance, or history, of a piece of Victorian jewelry can add to its value. If you know who owned the piece in the past, or if it has any interesting stories associated with it, this can add to its appeal.
- Ask about authentication. When buying Victorian jewelry, be sure to ask about authentication and appraisal services. These can help ensure that you’re getting a genuine piece of jewelry and help determine its value.
- Know your budget. It’s important to set a budget before you start shopping for Victorian jewelry. This will help you narrow down your options and prevent you from spending more than you can afford.
- Be patient. Shopping for Victorian jewelry can be a bit of a treasure hunt. It may take some time to find the perfect piece, but it will be worth it in the end!
- Have fun! Shopping for Victorian jewelry should be enjoyable. Take your time and enjoy the experience of finding that special piece of jewelry that you’ll cherish for years to come.