The word cancer causes more anxiety than many complicated diseases combined. Regardless of age, socioeconomic class, physical fitness, gender, and other factors, the disease has become a threat worldwide and has been so for many decades. It affects not just one’s health but also emotions and finances.
There are over 80 cancer hospitals in the country, with well-known oncology departments that help patients combat and cure cancer. Cancer Hospitals in Delhi and other parts of the country have numerous hospital chains such as BLKMax, Apollo, and Fortis.
Impact of Cancer on Finances
• Cancer not only negatively impacts an individual’s physical and mental health, but it also hurts their family’s financial health.
• The earning capacity of the patient gets directly impacted by the diagnosis. They may need to take time off, resign from a job, or change to a less demanding job that pays less.
• The costly treatment can force patients and their families to dip into their savings. Furthermore, the goals and aspirations of the family, such as children’s schooling and marriage, may get jeopardized due to the treatment.
Cancer Scenario in India
• Cancer is one of the chief reasons for mortality in India, behind heart disease, with 33 lakh patients at any given time. 11 lakh new cases get added annually, and 7 lakh deaths occur.
• Between 2004 and 2010, there was a 21% increase in cancer patients. The worrying fact is that 71% of deaths occur in the productive 30-69 age range. It is a particularly alarming figure.
• While India’s cancer rate is lower than the global average, it has increased from 700 to over 1,000 new cases per million in recent years.
In the treatment of cancer, a well-thought-out and interdisciplinary strategy is critical.
Radiotherapy is the most common treatment for patients.
Chemotherapy, given in cycles, kills cancer cells by preventing them from multiplying or developing.
Biological therapy, radiation therapy, bone marrow transplantation, and surgery are some of the other treatments available in cancer hospitals in Delhi.
As previously discussed, cancer can strike anyone, regardless of age, social standing, physical fitness, gender, or other factors. Starting from common people, renowned celebrities like director Anurag Basu, cricketer Yuvraj Singh, and actress Manisha Koirala have been affected by the disease.
Singer Rod Stewart, the late Nelson Mandela, cyclist Lance Armstrong, former US Secretary of State General Colin Powell, and actors Robert De Niro and Michael Douglas are a few international celebrities who survived the deadly disease.
Top 10 Cancer Hospitals in Delhi NCR
The ten most equipped and capable cancer hospitals in Delhi are
BLK Max Hospital, Delhi
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
Apollo Cancer institute, Sarita Vihar
Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
Max Institute of Cancer Care, Saket
Max Institute of Cancer Care, Shalimar Bagh
Moolchand Cancer Hospital, Lajpat Nagar
Columbia Asia, Palam Vihar, Gurugram
Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj
Max Institute of Cancer Care, Patparganj
Many charitable hospitals also assist the needy in receiving cancer treatment.
Cancer comes at a Cost
The chance of developing cancer, and the cost of treatment, have risen substantially in recent years. Medical expenses are so high now that they can threaten to wipe away a regular man’s entire life savings. For example, four chemotherapy sessions cost under 5 Lakh. The whole bill, which includes a lymph node biopsy, a bone marrow test, an endoscopy, a PET scan, and specific anticancer drugs, might cost depending on the stage and treatment options.
Health Insurance Policies may not be sufficient
Most health insurance policies cover almost every critical ailment, including cancer. But because they are indemnity plans, they usually pay for inpatient hospitalization. In most cases, policyholders choose a sum insured which is insufficient to cover the costs of a dreaded condition such as cancer.
Although critical illness (CI) insurance plans can help pay for expensive treatments for specific conditions, such as cancer, the claim only applies when cancer has progressed to the point where it is uncontrollable. On the other hand, a cancer-specific and devoted insurance plan may be able to alleviate these limitations.
Cancer Insurance Plans
Cancer-specific insurance plans outperform other types of health insurance because they payout at different phases of the disease – minor, major, and critical. Be sure to check if you have enough insurance to cover the costs of diagnosis, biopsy, surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hospitalization, and rehabilitation, so you don’t run out of money. In addition, make sure that your plan covers all major cancer hospitals in Delhi.
• A plan covering all common cancers, except skin cancer, pay out at every stage of the disease.
• It can protect your income and investments with a lump sum benefit upon diagnosis.
• The payments made using a cancer insurance plan in the minor, major, and crucial levels total 150 percent of the sum assured.
• The plan covers your premiums in the critical stage because the insurer waives them.
• Cancer insurance plans are available for online purchase and include a Section 80D tax advantage.