Did you suffer injuries in a car accident that was not your fault? If you have full-tort coverage, you could sue the other party for your injuries and losses. Pennsylvania’s auto accident laws are a bit complicated. It is both an at-fault and no-fault state. Immediately after the accident, you should focus on getting medical care and attention. Once you feel okay, consider seeking legal representation. Below are a few dos and don’ts for hiring Philadelphia, PA personal injury attorneys.
- Do your homework. Do not choose an attorney randomly. It would help if you did some initial background work to know a law firm better, and it is wise to meet a lawyer before engaging them for the case.
- Ask for a free case evaluation. Most law firms in Philadelphia offer a free initial consultation for potential clients. Call a lawyer’s office and ask for an appointment to discuss your injury case.
- Ask about experience. Always hire an attorney who has relevant experience. The domain of personal injury in Pennsylvania covers a wide range of cases. You need an attorney who has worked specifically and extensively on personal injury claims and lawsuits.
- Check for reviews. Clients are more likely to post reviews when they are unhappy with a lawyer’s work. If a law firm has too many bad reviews, it could be a sign of their shoddy work and experience.
- Hire a local attorney. You need a personal injury lawyer who works in Philadelphia. Local lawyers know about the courts and judges, which could be an advantage for determining the strategy for your case.
- Pay an upfront fee. All personal injury lawyers work without an upfront fee. This is known as the contingency fee arrangement, where they get paid if they win a financial settlement for the client. You should not have to pay a lawyer to meet or hire them, at least initially.
- Believe that a bigger firm is better. It is common for people to assume that a law firm with more attorneys is better. You would be rather surprised to discover the track record of the smaller personal injury law firms in Philadelphia. The work profile matters over numbers.
Also, do not hire an attorney if you don’t feel comfortable talking to them. A good attorney is someone who will answer all questions related to your injury case.