It is springtime, which means flowers are blooming and people are thinking about buying new homes. But there’s another housing market that’s seeing a lot of action right now: cemeteries.
But why? Well, it is estimated that in the U.S., between 2000 and 2500 cemeteries will no longer be in use by 2050. So, some are turning their old burial grounds into housing developments.
In fact, some of the world’s most famous cemeteries have been turned into neighborhoods: the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France; the Cimetière du Montparnasse in Paris; and even London’s Highgate Cemetery.
Of course this is a trend that has spread worldwide.
In Asia, Shika cemetery became Hong Kong’s first condo development when it opened its doors earlier this month. The four-story building, with a total of 368 units, offers 300 kinds of coffins in the inventory.
The trend is also taking place in Canada, where the country’s largest cemetery Waverley has been turned into a community garden and office building. And in Mexico, just outside of Guadalajara, the San Juan de los Lagos Cemetery has been turned into a luxury resort.
Meanwhile, back in Europe, the traditional ranks of مدافن للبيع continue to grow. In Paris’ Montparnasse Cemetery, French law prevents new plots being added to the cemetery, which is now home to a number of exclusive estates.
The price tag for one of these homes is typically the equivalent of $1.5 million USD.
But here’s a secret: you don’t need this much money to get yourself a cemetery plot.
In fact, here in the USA, Georgia has the largest number of active cemeteries. And there’s a town there that’s hoping to entice the living with plots for sale in their cemeteries: the town of Woodstock.
Over the years, Woodstock has lost a lot of businesses, including its funeral home. So this small community is hoping that turning its 3 cemeteries into neighborhoods will help them turn their economy around and bring in new revenue.
In the town of Woodstock, you can getPlot 69, a secluded plot that “stretches across the boundary of two cemeteries. The one closest to the road is called Woodstock and the other is called Country Home.”
In New York City, it’s no secret that graveyards have become prime real estate. And some believe this has to do with zoning laws in NYC.
When it comes to NYC real estate, it’s all about proximity. People want to be as close as possible to their work and home. And in an old cemetery, you can have both!
So if you live in New York City and you’re thinking that you don’t have enough room for your living space and you want more privacy in your home, why not invest in a cemetery plot? It could save you from having to move into a more expensive neighborhood in the future. *
And then there’s this popular trend that could save you money in the long term
Rather than buying a new home every couple of years, why not set up a plan that involves cemeteries? This would give you the opportunity to save space and get a nice, affordable space.
And just one caveat: pick your plots carefully! Otherwise, they could be haunted…
Maybe the future is filled with cemeteries for sale…
- Cemeteries are for sale in Hong Kong, where people can buy plots for a starting price of 139,000 yuan ($20,000 USD). The cost includes a plot and funeral expenses.
- But there’s also the possibility of getting an apartment or home in Paris’ Père-Lachaise Cemetery.
- You can even buy a plot in London’s Highgate Cemetery. It has a starting price of $77,660 USD and a plot sizes range from 20 to 35 square meters.
- The cemeteries in Mexico are also for sale. Just outside of Guadalajara, the San Juan de los Lagos Cemetery has plots for sale for about $7,000 USD.
- But you can also get yourself a plot in Woodstock, Georgia for $2500 USD. They have 3 cemeteries there, with a total of over 20,000 plots.
- And if you’re thinking about getting a plot in New York City because of its proximity to work and home, then you’ll be happy to know that NYC has some pretty affordable options.