Home health care services are very common amongst senior citizens who do not want to spend all their time in hospitals but need someone to take care of them too. Home health care services allow people to stay in the comfort and safety of their house while receiving all the professional help that is needed. This is mostly necessary for people who suffer from chronic disease, are disabled, are aging or are a patient in recovery. Home health care services include nursing care for people suffering from short term or long term diseases, companionship, providing help with daily activities such as eating or bathing, therapy- both physical and mental, managing tasks around the house, etc. There are unlimited home health care services that can be provided depending upon the needs of the patient. There are a plethora of home health care services such as :
- The first one would be DOCTOR CARE. As simple as the name suggests, a doctor will come home to treat the patient. It could be a weekly visit or a monthly depending upon the needs of the patient.
- The most popular type of home health care service is the NURSING CARE. After consulting a doctor, a professional nurse would be hired. The time that the nurse needs to spend with the patient depends upon the needs of the patient. Nursing care includes a vast amount of work including monitoring the patient’ health and recovery, giving medications from time to time, invasion therapy, Changing wound dressing, etc.
- After a serious injury, trauma or accident some patients might need PHYSICAL, OCCUPATIONAL OR SPEECH THERAPY. After maybe a prolonged illness or accident or trauma, some people might forget how to perform the daily duties or basic duties. Physical therapy would help the patient regain muscle power. If a person has been bed ridden for a long time, they might not be able to bend their muscles and bones properly. An occupational therapist would help the patient to relearn how to perform the daily activities around the house such as eating, bathing, etc. They provide a complete physical, developmental, Social and emotional therapy. Speech therapy helps the patient to regain their fine speaking power after having impaired speech.
- A less common home health care service is the MEDICAL SOCIAL SERVICE. The social workers also known as medical social workers help the patient in their recovery. They might provide counselling or to locate community resources.
- HOME HEALTH AIDS is a common form of home health care services after a person has suffered paralysis, or is aging or suffering a chronic disease. This form of health care service includes helping the patient with their personal daily needs such as walking, Bathing, eating or dressing.
- A BASIC CARE ASSISTANT helps with the daily chores of the house like cleaning, laundry, cooking if the homemaker is suffering or is in the recovery process.
- Another health care service is the COMPANIONSHIP. Some patients who are living alone might need a companion for emotional, Physical and mental support. They also act as the supervisor of the patient.
- Another less popular form of health care service is the VOLUNTEER CARE. This is very common amongst old age homes where volunteers from organizations help provide basic needs, companionship , support, etc to the patients.
These are a few basic home health care support. There are a few more such as nutritional support where dietitian or nutritionists may visit your home to provide a diet chart and check on the recovery. Many pharmaceutical companies provide home delivery of medicines. Also, transportation companies are there which provide transportation facilities to patients who need it for their visits to hospital and dropping back.