One of the first things that guests notice about your house is the smell, and over time we become indifferent to certain scents due to something called ‘sensory adaptation’. Informally known as ‘nose-blindness’, this can exist in the home, as we become comfortable and unable to smell our own scents that linger on our clothes and in our homes. Between pets, cooking, children and everyday life, our home usually smells of a concoction of different aromas- which are sometimes not all pleasant. No matter how clean you keep your home, sometimes scents still arise. However, there are ways to freshen up your home and make it smell glorious. Here at We Buy Any Home we have compiled our top hacks and tricks to make your house smell great.
Tackle the Bad:
First things first, in order to make your house smell great then it’s important that you get the things that emit the worst aromas are tackled first. This includes:
- Emptying the Bins: Its one of the worst jobs in terms of households, but your household bins unarguable release the worst smells when they haven’t been emptied. It’s vital that you keep on top of emptying your home bins, as you don’t want the awful smell to overpower your house- or worse, realise you have an insect infestation.
- Clean Your Garbage Disposal: If you’re notice a lingering stink in your kitchen then it’s worthwhile to check the sink. Sometimes food and bacteria can get clogged in the garbage disposal, and there’s a simple and easy way to clean it. People put a splash of scented dish soap down their drain, and a few cubes of ice, turn the disposal on and let the ingredients work their magic. Afterwards, let the water run to ensure everything is removed.
- Wash Your Rugs and Carpets: Carpets and rugs are the biggest offenders in harboring bad smells, as the fabric absorbs stenches- especially after food spills or pet messes. If you’re noticing a certain smell coming from your rugs, give them a quick spin in the washing machine and leave them to air dry. For your carpets, simply sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and let it sit for a few hours. After this, vacuum the excess off and the carpet will smell a lot fresher. This method works for pet beds and mattresses too.
- Toilet Hygiene: It’s important that you keep on top of the hygiene in your bathrooms, and more specifically, your toilet. Your toilet can sometimes be guilty of leaving the worst stenches around the house, so a quick bleaching and scrub should get rid of any unwanted smells.
- Freshen Up Air Vents: If your vents are emitting a certain smell, then a way to avoid this is to clip an air freshener (such as the ones for your car) to the vents metal slats. As the air blows through so will the scent of the air freshener.
Quick Ways to Make Your Home Smell Great:
There are plenty of ways to make your home smell heavenly. With so many options to choose from, and with so many varying scents, you can easily find a way to find something that compliments your house and provides a smell that is more than pleasant. A few ideas are:
- Adding Essential Oils to Your Air Filter: If you want your whole home to smell delicious, then add a few drops of essential oils to your air filter. Your home HVAC system will push the air throughout the house and make everything smell great.
- Simmer Potpourri on the Stove: There are hundreds of amazing recipes for cooker top potpourri. You can add any scent you like, from lemon, to vanilla for a clean smell, or orange and cinnamon for an autumn smell. By cooking it, the smell will soon fill your house.
- Vanilla in the Oven: If you need your house to smell good in a hurry then this is for you. By simply adding two capfuls of vanilla extract into a oven-safe dish, you can bake at 300 degrees for one hour and your whole house will smell like delicious vanilla.
- Add Votive Candles in Coffee Beans: Fill a jar or candle cup with coffee beans and place a votive candle in the middle. As the tealight flame burns, the coffee beans will attract and lingering scents and clear any smells from the air in a safe way that keeps your home odoour free.
- Decorate with Eucalyptus Leaves: Not only are eucalyptus leaves pretty, but they also give off a lovely smell that can freshen up your entire house. You can keep some in the bathroom or elsewhere in the house in a vase, and they will radiate a gorgeous smell.