Riding a motorcycle can be a great experience, hitting the open road. But if you’re not careful, it can also be hazardous. Accidents can undoubtedly lead to insurance deals, and hence, you will need the assistance of motorcycle accident attorneys.
The insurance company will likely pressure you to settle because they know that you have the best chance of getting the most compensation from your accident if you hire an attorney.
Here are some reasons that speak to the importance of the timing in hiring an accident attorney.
You’ll Need to Know Your Legal Rights.
No matter how severe your accident was, it’s essential to know your legal rights. If you were not entirely at fault for your motorcycle accident, you likely have a right to seek compensation.
However, you will need to understand the best way to pursue that compensation and fight for your legal rights.
Hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer can take away any uncertainty you feel after an accident, even a minor one.
The Insurance Settlement is Rarely High Enough
If the other driver was at fault for your motorcycle accident, they are legally liable for your damages. That usually means you can file a personal injury claim with the driver’s insurance company to seek compensation for your damages. However, insurance companies don’t make it that easy.
Insurance companies routinely deny claims or offer a lowball settlement after an accident. If your claim gets rejected, you should contact a lawyer for help. On the other hand, if you get offered a meager payment, do not take it or assume that’s the best you can do.
Your Injuries Might Still Be Serious
Even if you feel okay after your accident, your injuries might end up being more severe than you initially realize. It is why we always advise accident victims to see a doctor as soon as possible after the collision.
When you are in an accident, your body is flooded with adrenaline and other hormones that temporarily suppress pain so you can take action. However, as time passes, things even out, and you might begin to feel more pain.
Talk To An Attorney Right After The Accident
Experienced motorcycle accident attorneys regularly fight for the rights of injured victims, and the sooner you contact them, the sooner they can begin strengthening your claim.
When appropriate, attorneys may gather evidence, begin discussion and negotiation with insurance companies, and prepare for trial if settlement negotiations are unsuccessful.
When You Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney, You Can Focus on Recovery. Sounds easy, right?
Things To Do After Car Accident Injuries
Immediately after the accident:
- Stop the car as soon as possible – it’s an offense not to do so.
- Turn off the engine.
- Switch the hazard lights on.
- Check for any injuries to yourself or your passengers.
- If it’s a minor collision and there are no injuries, make a note of it just if the other people later try to claim damage.
- Call the police and an ambulance immediately if anyone is hurt or if the road is blocked.
- Try to remain as calm as possible – it’s typical to feel anxious after an accident. So take a few deep breaths, and try to take stock of the situation the best you can. And don’t lose your temper.
- Don’t apologize or admit responsibility for the accident until you’re entirely aware of what happened – this can protect you from liability if it wasn’t your fault.
When should I call the police?
- If the other driver or drivers leave the scene without giving details
- If you think the other driver has no insurance or is under the influence of drink or drugs.
- If you suspect that the other driver caused the collision deliberately
Tell the police about the accident within 24 hours – if you don’t, you may be given a fine, points on your license, or a disqualification from driving.
Accidents are sometimes hard to avoid, regardless of how carefully you drive. Keeping this post-accident checklist ready in the car or bookmarked on your phone will help when you make a claim.
For more information about an offense from a car accident injury, click here.
If you aren’t sure whether you’re speaking to the best motorcycle accident attorneys for your case, it is always recommended to take advantage of free consultations with other legal professionals.