When it comes to women’s well-being, there are a bunch of areas that should always be under inspection. Breasts are one such area where you need to pay attention. Even a slight change in your breasts must be looked at with care.
Amidst the growing rate of breast cancer in the world, it is highly necessary to take care of your breast health. As a contingency plan, you should always keep your Bajaj Finserv Health EMI card handy in times of need. It will help you cover your medical expenses arising from breasts.
As we are talking about issues related to breasts, the concern of breast lumps cannot be ignored. Hence, this article is dedicated to enlightening you regarding some facts regarding breast lumps in women.
So, let’s get started.
WHAT ARE BREAST LUMPS?
Breast lumps are an abnormal growth of your breast tissue due to uncertain reasons. You can feel lumpy skin on your breast, which might be hard or soft, depending on your condition.
It can be caused due to infections, injuries, or cancerous growth. Hence, it is important to get yourself diagnosed by the best gynaecologist in Kolkata at the earliest. With medical tests, physical examination, and genetic verification, your gynecologist can find the link between your breast lump and cancer.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF BREAST LUMPS?
There can be many causes of breast lumps; some can be harmful to your health while others are just normal. Some of the common causes of breast lumps can be cancerous growth, injuries, and infections.
As breast cancer is the leading cause of death in women, it is highly essential to get yourself checked at regular intervals. The symptoms of breast lumps should not be taken lightly.
HERE ARE THE COMMON CAUSES:
Infection in breast tissue is known as mastitis. It occurs mostly around the time of breastfeeding. When your nipple is cracked during breastfeeding, it becomes easier for bacteria to enter and infect the area. In such situations, a clogged milk duct is formed.
Your breast can also witness injuries that can lead to lumps. When blood vessels around your breast are ruptured due to some reason, it can create breast lumps. Trauma is one of the major reasons for breast injuries. These types of lumps are often not cancerous, but it is important to get them checked.
There are certain non-cancerous growths in the breast that can create lumps. Here are a few non-cancerous growths:
- Fibroadenomas: It generally occurs in women between the age of 30-35 years. Fibroadenomas are firm and solid tumours, rather painless and quick to heal.
- Breast Cysts: These are fluid-filled sacs in the breast tissue that happens in women above the age of 35 years.
- Fibrocystic Changes: These are characterized by lumpy breasts with irregularity in the breast tissue.
HOW DO CANCEROUS BREAST LUMPS FEEL LIKE?
Sometimes you may not witness any symptoms or signs of breast cancer. But you may understand these symptoms and get yourself tested:
- Nipple Discharge: When discharge comes out from your breast without touching or pressing, it can be a sign of cancer.
- Skin Changes: When the skin around your breast is changed unexpectedly, you should be alarmed instantly.
- Inflammation: Inflammation in your breast is a common sign that you may have cancer.
It is essential to understand that breast cancer does not cause any pain. So, it is quite difficult to notice early.
HOW ARE BREAST LUMPS DIAGNOSED BY DOCTORS?
There are different methods to diagnose breast lumps in women.
- Physical Examination: It is a common screening method where your gynecologist will manually examine your breast.
- Mammogram: A mammogram is a machine-based test that detects breast cancer and its chances.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound is yet another popular method to screen breast lumps. It can detect cyst formation.
- MRI: Gynaecologist may also conduct an MRI for further examination. It gets the internal images of your body parts.
WHAT ARE THE TREATMENTS OF BREAST LUMPS?
There are different treatments for different breast lumps. From oral contraception, medicines, therapies to surgeries, your gynecologist may suggest a treatment that best cures your issue.
THE BOTTOM LINE
It is essential to take care of your breast health and conduct regular tests to detect any possibility of breast cancer. There are different kinds of breast lumps; some may be cancerous, others are easily treatable.
The above-mentioned were all the details you need to know about breast lumps.